Wednesday, July 15, 2015

DIY Crochet Face Scrubber

I'd like to talk to you about your face. Specifically, how you wash your face. I've tried regular wash cloths that you can buy at the store. I've tried using my hands. I hated the washcloths (they're so scratchy & there's so much extra fabric!), so I just resorted to using my hands to scrub my face. Which works....well enough. But I'm still not happy.

So I started looking up patterns for crocheted face scrubbies. I figured, I have all this cotton yarn just sitting around...why not put it to good use? I saw a two patterns that I liked, here & here

But, I wanted something that was a cross between the two of them. I didn't like how the first one had so much PUFF to it. I have a nose ring, so too much extra will get caught. Plus, um, ow? And the 2nd one was too flat and boring, it needs a little something extra to make it cute!

So I decided on this:





It has the best of both worlds, the puff for comfort, and the flatter/rougher area for exfoliating! 

Here is my pattern:

I used a G hook (4mm) with Peaches & Cream 100% cotton yarn.

Puff Stitch - Make sure your loop has a little extra slack (not TOO much). YO and insert hook, draw up a loop. *YO again, insert hook, and draw up another loop.* Rep ** 2 more times. (you should have 9 loops on the hook) YO and pull through all loops. Ch1 to lock.

Start with Magic Ring

Round 1: Chain 3. Work 9 DC into the Magic Ring. Sl st into the top of the Ch3.
Round 2: 2 Puff Stitch in the same st as the sl st. 2PS in every st around. Sl st into the Ch1 space of the first 2 PS.
Round 3: Ch1. SC in same st as the Ch1. SC in every st.

When you get to the end, cut a 3-4 inch tail, and use an Invisible Finish stitch to fasten off. Weave in ends. Learn how to do the Invisible Finish Stitch hereIt measures about 3 inches wide when finished.

It may seem impossible to fit 2 Puff Stitches into 1 DC space. I know they're, uh...puffy...but I swear it's possible! I believe in you!!




Now I have one hanging in the shower! I just put a squirt of my favorite face scrub, and scrub away! Give it a couple uses, then throw it in the wash. That's the best part - you can wash them, and reuse them! *insert environment-saving ya-HOO here* 

FYI - if you plan to wash & reuse, I believe you need to use 100% cotton yarn. Otherwise, I'm not sure how it would hold up in the wash.

Let me tell you, my sister in law was over our house the day after I made this scrubbie, and she saw it sitting on the table. "Ooooh, what's that?" she says. So I told her what it was, and she was SUPER interested. So I gave her that one to try out. She was my guinea pig, and she loved it. She has now motivated me to make a ton more for me, family, friends, gifting, and Etsy!

Soon, I plan on making some dish scrubbers using some left over tulle from the wedding (SO.MUCH.TULLE!). One of the links above has the pattern, so I may try to modify to my liking (not that I really do dishes?). Stay tuned kids.

2 comments: